Anthony's girlfriend speaks

Anthony Walker's girlfriend has described the barrage of racist abuse the teenager faced on the night of his murder in court. The prosecution alleges Anthony was waiting at a bus stop with his white girlfriend, Louise Thompson, and his cousin, Marcus Binns, when they were targeted by racist louts outside the Huyton Park pub. Louise, 17, broke down as she described how one thug, his face covered by a hood and scarf, shouted 'nigger' and 'coon' at them. When Anthony told them they were simply waiting for a bus and would soon be gone, she said the man shouted: 'Walk, nigger, walk.' Marcus, now 18, was combing his afro hairstyle in the reflection of a phone box at the time. He said the same masked man shouted 'microphone head' and 'Michael Jackson' at him. Both Marcus, who comes from Coventry but was staying with the Walkers following a christening, and Louise told how they walked away to avoid trouble. But as they walked to the next bus stop, Marcus told how they were passed by a speeding Peugeot 406 car without its lights on. He said the car immediately turned left after passing them, which made him feel 'anxious and wary'. When Anthony suggested they cut through McGoldrick Park, Marcus told the court he still felt uneasy. He said: 'We were walking at a normal pace, but there were just inner feelings that someone was following. I didn't see anything, it was just a feeling. 'There is a lot of trees in the park and it was dark, very dark. I glimpsed towards my left and I saw a dark, shadowy figure in the bush. 'It crept out of the bush. I've noticed it and I've told them to run.' Marcus said he 'sprinted' away and did not look back, only returning after he had roused a local householder. By now, he said, he was 'out of breath, in shock, frightened'. The householder and his son drove Marcus back to McGoldrick Park, where they found a horrific sight. Marcus said: 'All three of us got out of the car, walked up and we saw him lying there. 'He was in a critical condition. He was face up. There was an axe in his head. I started to panic and I called 999.' Louise also told how she had escaped the scene before the fatal blow was delivered. Anthony, 18, had an ice axe driven into his skull in what prosecutors claim was a racist attack in Huyton, Merseyside, in July. Paul Taylor, 20, has admitted Anthony's murder but his cousin, 17-year-old Michael Barton, denies the same charge. Barton, the brother of Manchester City footballer Joey Barton, is on trial at Preston Crown Court, sitting in Liverpool.

ITN | November 17, 2005Watch more videos from ITN

Tags:. .shock. .avoid. .abuse. .taylor. .suggested